There is a gross misconception among people about medication assisted treatment. There is a common belief among people that the treatment of substance use disorder with medicines are no less than trading one addiction for another.
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration have stated that the FDA approved medications are really effective. The medications along with the advanced evidence based therapies can work wonders in the case of drug or alcohol addictions. It also helps the recovering patients to stay in the treatment for a considerable amount of time. This very amalgamation of therapies is known as the Medication Assisted Treatment(MAT).
People from the region of Santa Ana, California, usually search for medication assisted treatment Santa Ana in Google.
Understanding Medication Assisted Treatment
One of the toughest phases during the recovery process is to control the cravings that arise suddenly and at times proves to be fatal. Cravings can arise even after fruitfully completing the detox and the treatment. Cravings are considered as normal for the ones trying to stay clean after a prolonged period of abuse. The fatality of the cravings lie in the fact that they can disrupt the process of treatment and can therefore increase the chances of relapse. This is where the role of medication assisted treatment Santa Ana proves to be legal. Certain medications have indeed turned out to be successful in ceasing these cravings.
These medications combine with the therapies schools the recovering user to manage cravings as well as triggers in every possible manner. Medication assisted treatment Santa Ana is used mainly to combat heroin and opioids addiction. Medications like methadone and buprenorphine prove to be very effective while treating opioid disorder.
Naloxone has been in rapid use over the recent few years. Naloxone has shown ample evidence and effectiveness in treating opioid dependence. The use of the medicine has also become an ever important element of the local efforts that come together to fight drugs. The easy access to naloxone as well as other services are critical to combat this lethal epidemic.
Let us look at the other types of medications that are used in medication assisted treatment Santa Ana.
Types of medications
- Buprenorphine- Buprenorphine is an instrumental medicine that is used to treat an opioid addict. It is a partial opioid agonist. Such is the effectiveness of the drug that it is the first thing that crosses the mind of doctors in cases of opioid addicts. There are several names under which Buprenorphine is available, namely Butrans, Buprenix. Potential side effects of Buprenorphine include muscle aches, constipation, vomiting, sleeping difficulties etc.
- Probuphine- Probuphine focuses on the cravings and the withdrawal symptoms. It aims to reduce the sudden cravings and eradicates the chances of withdrawal. The process might sound a bit painful as four rods are inserted into the upper arm. These roda regulates continuous dosage of probuphine into the bloodstream over a period of six months. Probuphine is certainly not recommended beyond two treatment periods of six months.
- Methadone- Methadone is used to eradicate the random cravings and withdrawal symptoms to the ones addicted to heroin. Methadone is so strong that even a single dose can prevent the withdrawals and cravings to a significant extent. Methadone is available at clinics to prevent any instance of abuse. Potential side effects of methadone include headache, vomiting, mood swings, loss of appetite.
- Disulfiram- Disulfiram is instrumental in treating alcohol abuse by encouraging unpleasant effects during alcohol consumption. This results in further discouragement in the desire to drink.
- Acamprosate- This is another medicine that is used to promote abstinence and prevent relapse. Headache, nausea, diarrhea and itchiness are some potential side effects of acamprosate.
Medication assisted treatment Santa Ana has all such forms of medicines in use. The major concern faced by MAT is the abuse of medications that are advised to treat withdrawal symptoms and cravings. There are cases when some users face such magnitude of craving that they start abusing the treatment medication itself. Medication assisted treatment Santa Ana has made awareness about the medication assisted treatment all over America.