Few questions that come in our mind when we say, “hair mask”. What is a hair mask? Why it’s required? And how it is different from normal conditioners? It’s a deep conditioning treatment that helps in healing damaged hair.
Even as per skin doctors in Delhi, hair masks are mandatory because they contain rich ingredients such as natural oils and lipids in heavier concentrations than normal conditioners.
And sometimes your hair needs something extra, an added care to protect it from damage, which can be due to a various reason such as the long gap between trims, or due to styling or using hair straightening irons etc. Even change in weather can be harsh on your hairs.
Type of Hair Masks
Hair masks are available for all hair types with varied ingredients. Either you have extremely dry hair or extra oily hair. There are special masks to protect the color hair, give volume to hair and protein-rich masks for growth.
How to Use a Mask
They are very simple to use, apply it at least once in a week as part of your normal washing and conditioning routine. After squeezing water out of your hair, apply the mask in lower two-thirds of your hair.
Massage the strands to make sure that there is complete coverage to damaged hairs. Keep it for 15-20 mins, rinse, and then wash and condition it as usual.
How frequently you can use Hair Mask
Depends on how damaged your hairs are, for most of the hairs it’s recommended once in a week. But if you use the styling product regularly, especially heated styling tools then you will require intense conditioning help.
It’s always recommended to use organic, homemade masks so that you are sure of the ingredients you are applying are free from chemicals, even the skin doctors in Delhi suggest the same. Let’s have a brief on how to make hair masks at home for different hair types.
For Dry hairs
Hot oil treatment is the best mask for treating your dry and damaged hairs. All you need is a bowl of warmed coconut oil. Simply apply it in hairs and keep it for at least an hour or you can also apply it in the night, leave it overnight and wash in the morning. Wash properly to remove the oil from your hair.
Also, you can make a mask of Brown Sugar & Olive Oil.
Brown sugar is a good exfoliant for the hair that helps in getting rid of dead skin cells or any other leftover residue from your scalp. Olive oil, on the other hand, is always used as a natural conditioner to treat dry hair.
Ingredients: One tablespoon of olive oil and two tablespoons of brown sugar.
How to use:
- Mix oil and sugar together in a bowl
- Apply gently from top to bottom.
- Wait for 15-20 minutes, let the mask get soaked in your hair
- Wash your hairs.
For Oily hairs
Oily hair is a common problem among all. The simple home-made mask can relieve that problem while making your hair shiny and healthy.
Ingredients: Besan, ground methi seeds and coconut milk.
How to use:
- Mix two tablespoon each of methi seeds and besan in coconut milk.
- Massage your scalp and hair with the mixture and leave for an hour.
- Wash your hairs after that and use conditioner too.
Also, you can make lemon rind and apple cider vinegar mask. The combination of these two ingredients helps to restore the proper pH balance in your hair while neutralizing excess oil production. Resulting in oil-free shiny hair.
For Damaged Hair
If you use hair color or blow dry straighten or curl your hair regularly using heat-based appliances, you will notice dry or frizzy ends. This mask will instantly make your hair healthy and shine again.
For damaged hair nothing is more effective then Banana and olive oil, they are just perfect in restoring damaged hair.
Ingredients: one ripe banana and one tablespoon of olive oil
How to use:
- Roughly chop the banana and put it in a blender, grind it to make a smooth, lump-free paste.
- Open the blender and add olive oil, give it another spin. You will now get a creamy hair mask that smells absolutely amazing.
- The hair mask is ready to use, wet your hair and apply gently in your scalp and hair strands.
For Frizzy Hair (Banana, Yogurt + Honey Hair Mask)
Nobody likes frizzy hair, there are so many reasons that can make your hair unmanageable and frizzy, the home-made hair mask can cure them easily.
Ingredients: One ripe banana, two tablespoons of plain yogurt and one tablespoon of honey
How to use:
- Combine all ingredients together in a blender or you can also mash banana and mix ingredients until they are blended properly.
- Apply the mask to your wet hairs, from top to bottom.
- Leave the mask for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Rinse properly with your regular shampoo and conditioner.
Itchy Scalp Hair Treatment
During winters, the most common problem is dry scalp which becomes itchy. The best treatment for this is lemon juice and olive oil mask, easy to make and use. Just mix lemon juice, olive oil and a bit of water. Apply it to hair and leave it for 20 mins. Than use shampoo and conditioner as usual. You will feel relieved from the itchy scalp.
For Hair Growth
If you want long and healthy hair, this hair mask is for you. Coconut Oil is used in many hair masks because of its hydrating and moisturizing properties. Cinnamon has antimicrobial properties which helps in hair growth and also with dandruff, hair loss, and strengthening your hair follicles as well while stimulating circulation in the scalp.
Ingredients: One tablespoon of Coconut Oil and one teaspoon of cinnamon.
How to use:
- Mix these ingredients properly in a bowl
- Start it with your scalp, part your hairs from the center and start applying from there. Use your fingers to massage the mask in the scalp.
- Tie the hairs up and cover it with a shower cap. Wash it after 30 to 40 mins with your regular shampoo and conditioner.
A hair mask is a deep conditioning treatment that does a miracle to damage hairs and brings shine to the healthy hairs.